blog

Latest posts

Hello! Today, we continue with the implementation of the NervLuna bindings system: in our last session on this project we were trying to build some valid bindings for the SimCore project. Everything seems to be working correctly so far on the “standard” bindings generation part. But one thing I eventually realized is that we also definitely need support to be able to add extensions to a given C++ class, that could then be used on the lua side as ordinary functions. So this will be the topic we will focus on this time.

→ Read more...

2021/06/23 10:28

Good morning everyone! 5AM here and I haven't been sleeping since about 2:30AM… [Too much drinking last night I guess 🤢] So that was definitely a short sleep. But anyway, that's not the topic here: in this article I want to provide some improvements on my “CryptoView application” (short description below). Again, I will try to keep it short if I can, but no guarantee on that point I'm afraid 😂. For a start I simply want to automatically update the price charts I'm displaying in that app on a regular basis (every minute ? every 5 minutes ?) to always get the latest available price data. That's should not be too hard to implement I think, so let's get started.

→ Read more...

2021/06/14 10:46

Hey hey! So, very quick/short article this time. Because this is a bit of an urgency in fact: I have an SQLite database, that I'm acessing in python, and I write cryptocurrency prices in that database… for about 45 currencies so far… every minute… lol.

→ Read more...

2021/06/12 14:40

Hello everyone! So… is this going to be the day I can finally generate some bindings with NervLuna for SimCore as mentioned in my previous article about this ? And is this going to fail once more for so many reasons that we can't even enumerate them all here 🤣 ? Anyway, not much choice here, so let's get started and we'll see what we get on our way!

→ Read more...

2021/06/07 09:35

Hi readers! So here we are back on our NervLuna project for lua bindings generation… Or at least, that's what I “kind of” remember it was about ? I mean, all this stuff seems so far away already lol. But anyway, lately I've been working on lua bindings generation for one of the other professional projects I'm working on (ie. the SimCore project).

I had to get something very quickly on rails, so I immediately turned to the Sol3 library of course. And oh boy… (don't get me wrong, I really like the sol3 library, the syntax is cool, you have all the needed features and all in there, but…) this experiment definetely reminded me how complex it was to use that library properly and why I decided to start working on the nervluna project in the first place!

So here I am again: back on NervLuna, and I want to try to use it to generate the bindings I need in SimCore while those bindings are still not too big. So let's get started!

→ Read more...

2021/06/04 11:45

In this article, we will see how to setup a django project with a uWSGI server for production usage. In the past I have only been using the internal development server provided directly in django for my test projects, but that development server should definitely not be used in production: instead, setting up a wsgi connection behing a proper web server such as Apache or nginx seems to be the recommanded way to proceed for production setup.

Also, in the process, I'm also now using a MariaDB backend for the database instead of a simple sqlite3 database: again, this seems to be the recommended path in production, so we will see how to set this up too.

→ Read more...

2020/08/30 16:55

So after my last session trying to add more folders as input for the nvCore bindings generation I eventually realized that there was something fondamentally wrong in the way I was handling “types”. This lead me to a large refactoring session and now we will review in this article the major changes introduced and the problems fixed in the process.

→ Read more...

2020/08/07 13:56

In this long and terrifying blog post, I was basically just trying to send all the input folders I have as headers in my nvCore module for binding generation with nervluna… trying to add the folders one by one and fixing the problems as their occur progressively. That was really tedious :-) And desperating… And frustrating… But anyway: not much choice here: if I want to build something usable, then I should at least be able to generate the bindings for a single of my existing module, no ?! [and actually, that would only be the “beginning” lol]

In the end, I got all (well, “almost all”) headers parsed, and the binding generator was not crashing anymore. Yet, the resulting code is still not compiling because I'm facing some issues with the type names etc. But I really think I should keep that part for another article, so more on this in another episode ;-)

So, not sure anyone would find it interesting to read the following, but at the very least, I can keep this as reference in case I need to remember why I did something somehow etc.

→ Read more...

2020/07/28 08:00

Older entries >>

Blog History

2017-09: 7 entries 2017-11: 1 entry 2018-12: 6 entries 2019-01: 5 entries 2019-02: 2 entries 2019-03: 9 entries 2020-12: 1 entry 2020-04: 5 entries 2020-06: 10 entries 2020-07: 5 entries 2020-08: 2 entries 2021-06: 5 entries

  • blog.txt
  • Last modified: 2020/07/10 12:11
  • (external edit)